I have talked to people in high school and I have asked graduates of all ages what they would suggest all students do before they graduate. Just some words of wisdom from the “wise,” you know?
1. Get up early and watch the sunrise! Yes I know, sleep is your best friend right now but just do it at least once.
2. Pull an all-nighter. Most of you have probably done this… more than a few times. Personally, I am not a huge fan because again, SLEEP IS GOOD. However, you are only in high school once, so stay up all night with some friends just for fun before you have to stay up all night to write that 15-page paper due at 8 am that you totally forgot about.
3. “Roast a teacher without getting into trouble.” … this is why everyone is going to remain anonymous.
4. Try out for a sport. Any of them, just pick one and go for it. Then you can decide rather or not to pursue it!
5. Audition for a school play. At Grace Prep, the spring musical auditions are actually open to the whole school, so why not? Get on that stage and act your little heart out. Just participate!
6. Find someone who speaks a foreign language fluently and listen to them speak (or watch, if it is American Sign Language).
7. Buy 21 items you don’t need. Yeah, I don’t know about this one…
8. Go on a scavenger hunt throughout a mall or city. I’ve done it, and it is awesome. Another thing similar to this is Walmart Bingo, a personal favorite. But you have to go late at night so you’re with the “midnight Walmart” crowd.
9. Take a road trip with friends. It is the most fun you will ever have.
10. Go on at LEAST one of the class trips- they’re AWESOME! You won’t regret getting to know your classmates better in a different setting.
11. Pick 10 food/drink items at the grocery store that you have never eaten before and try them!
12. Go to a restaurant you don’t know anything about and order the waiter/waitresses favorite dish.
13. Go on a date… Ladies, make sure he meets Dad first. Guys, you better get her at the door because if you honk, she isn’t coming.
14. Get your Driver’s License.
15. Have a movie marathon with your friends. Star Wars, Harry Potter, or Lord of the Rings, really anything that includes at least three movies.
16. Read a book for fun. I know half of you didn’t actually read your assigned summer reading book. Find one you like and read every word: cover-to-cover.
17. Join an extracurricular activity. Business Club, Key Club, Student Council, Chess Club…pick one!
18. Memorize scripture!! We are getting ready to enter the real world guys, we have to be able to pull out the sword. John 3:16 is WONDERFUL but the kids in elementary school know that, so push yourself to learn more! There are a number of resources available to help you out, including Scripture Typer, The Bible App, or Bible Gateway.
19. Just have fun! Yes do your homework, be a good student, but don’t stress yourself too much. This is high school. Four years out of your ENTIRE life. One bad grade may affect your grade in ONE class for ONE six-weeks grading period, but it is NOT going to be the end of the world. There is so much more to life than that. However, this is not a free pass to check-out early.
20. Ditch School… Mwahaha!
Go out and live out your high school days! Some of us only have a number of weeks left. Make every day count. But don’t make poor choices.